Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Things I will miss…


I have been working in adult literacy for the last four and a half years. Turns out, this program is a passion of mine. I am fortunate to have the power of reading and a support system that encourages me to grow in knowledge. Not everyone has that luxury.
For the last four and a half years, I have been encouraging people, helping them learn how to read; encouraging the use of the public library system; hopefully igniting the love of reading in those around me.
I have grown so much and gained a better awareness of my community; a better understanding of what makes this city…well a place people chose to call home.
I am sad to leave the education/library world. I will miss all the friends I made all over the state. I will miss walking through the stacks every morning: 29 Cor-Des 30 Cha-Cor.
I will miss the volunteers I work with; those who willingly choose to help instead of complain; who hug instead of hurt; who care instead of ignore; who are grateful that I care and I support them.
 I will miss my students; the gratitude and appreciation they have for me, makes this little nerdy girl grateful to have known every single one of them.
I will miss the bizarre interactions with the homeless; who have provided entertainment, not only to me, but the land of face book as well.
I will miss those of the library staff who have smiled at me for years and made an effort to say good morning, or get to know me in the littlest ways.

Tomorrow's my last day in adult literacy. Monday, I begin a new journey, one that I hope I am ready for. I am excited with a little dash of scared. I am ready for the challenge. I hope it’s as fulfilling as the last four and a half years of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment