Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I am Very Disappointed in Melky Cabrera

I know my opinion in the matter involving Melky Cabrera’s 50 game suspensions without pay (with only 45 games left in the regular season) doesn’t matter. Lucky for you, I will share it anyway.
My family is band of baseball enthusiasts; more accurately, Grandpa and I are enthused and everyone else just tolerates us. We all gather around the TV and watch nearly every game. Day games are a bit more difficult to view, since we all have day jobs.
I am now faced with a dilemma. How to explain Melky’s suspension to my son, an avid Giants fan and a baseball player himself, that one of his favorite players is off the team? My child will not be satisfied with the simple “Melkman was suspended.” He will want to know why and what rules were violated to warrant the suspension.
I supposed I could use this incident as a valuable teaching opportunity. Or I could just not mention it at all and see if he notices Cabrera’s absence; which he no doubt will.
Outside of being a disappointed parent, I am a disappointed fan. While I cannot assume that players never use performance enhancers (legal or otherwise) the knowledge one uses takes the fun out of baseball, or any sport for that matter. This is a crucial time for the Giants. This morning the Giants were tied for first in the NL West and with the results from afternoons game, are now a half game back.
No one can for sure say what is going to happen with the rest of baseball’s regular season, but if the Giants fall further behind everyone will be wondering if the lack of Melky is the reason why.

No comments:

Post a Comment